After much deliberation and polishing off of crusty Yule Logs and leftover turkey, the results are in for the 2015 Scottish BAMS Record of the Year.
The annual Scottish BAMS (Bloggers and Music Sites) poll to find the best album of 2015 has been decided by an esteemed group of Scottish music presenters, journalists and bloggers (listed below), including yours truly.
Anyway, enough preamble, the winner for 2015 is…*cue fanfare*…
KATHRYN JOSEPH for Bones You Have Thrown Me, And Blood I’ve Spilled.
On how she felt at winning the award a delighted Kathryn said, “It feels amazing! Thank so much!”. Her own favourite album of 2015 was five places below her in the poll, “Sufjan Stevens record is the most beautiful piece of music ever. For me that is the most beauiful record of last year”.
The Top 10 on the poll were as follows:
- Kathryn Joseph Bones You Have Thrown Me, And Blood I’ve Spilled
- Miaoux Miaoux School of Velocity
- C Duncan Architect
- Young Fathers White Men Are Black Men
- Chvrches Open Every Eye
- Sufjan Stevens Carrie & Lowell
- Kendrick Lamarr To Pimp a Butterfly
- Courtney Barnett Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
- Wolf Alice My Love is Cool
- Public Service Broadcasting The Race for Space
For the record, my own votes were cast as follows:
2. Rozi Plain Friend (Lost Map)
3. Daniel Wylie’s Cosmic Rough Riders Chrome Cassettes
4. Boots For Dancing The Undisco Kidds (Athen of the North)
5. Randolph’s Leap Most Clunky (Lost Map)
6. Public Service Broadcasting The Race For Space (Test Card)
7. Young Fathers White Men Are Black Men (Ten Big Dada)
8. Robin Gibb Saved By The Bell (Rhino)
9. The Truth Who’s Wrong: Mod Bedlam 1965-1969 (RPM)
10. Bodyheat Bodyheat (Mini LP)
I was genuinely surprised that two of my selections made the Top 10. While dominated by Scottish acts, as you’d expect, the vote was open to any record and the bootm half of the Top 10 were taken over by international acts.
31 different writers voted for a total of 160 records, with 11 selecting Kathryn Joseph in their top 10s.
The 2015 BAMS were: Scottish Fiction, Jim Gellatly, Almost Predictable Almost, Vic Galloway, The Spill, For Malcontents, Netsounds , Is This Music?, Manic Pop Thrills, Last Year’s Girl, Tenement TV, 17 Seconds, Alan Morrison, Houdidontblog, Post Nothing, Glasgow Podcart, Everything Flows, Avalanche, The Skinny, Alive & Amplified, Jocknroll, Ski Pie Rage, Local Music Scene, Get Music, Ravechild and The (New) Vinyl Villain.
The 2015 BAMS were brought to you by Mike (Manic Pop Thrills), Neil (Scottish Fiction), Jamie (Netsounds Unsigned), Al (Houdidont), Stuart (Is This Music?) and Lloyd (Honorary Head BAM).
2009 The Phantom Band The Wants
2010 The National High Violet
2011 Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat Everyone’s Getting Older
2012 Meursault Something for the Weakened
2013 CHVRCHES The Bones of What You Believe
2014 The Twilight Sad Nobody Wants to be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave