“Another year over, a new one just begun.”
Well, not quite but it’s not a kick in the arse off it. Here’s my summary of my own personal 2010. (Note: I reserve the right to make amendments as I see fit or as things come back to me. My memory’s not what it was).
- Another whole year without anti-depressants and only one (unavoidable) sick day off work – change days.
- Being shortlisted in the Best Specialist Music Show category for the 2010 Hospital Broadcasting Association awards in Erskine
- Watching my daughter grow up into a right little character and having a whole week together of holiday fun in July
- Winning £2500 worth of vouchers across five shops in a Trafford Centre competition
- Appearing on “A Question of Genius”
- Appearing on Fred Macaulay’s Radio Scotland show five times
- Family trips to Strathyre, York and Aberfoyle
- John Cavanagh’s interview with Andrew Loog Oldham (Trongate 103, Glasgow)
- Winning the primary school Family Quiz night
- An evening in the company of The Orchids at Glasgow Popfest
- “Mozipedia” book came out last year but this article – about yours truly – is from this year and had me blushing
- Missing out on a job interview for Question Researcher for The Weakest Link
- Not winning anything for Best Specialist Music Show at the 2010 HBA awards
- The station not submitting my entry for the 2011 HBA awards
- Voluntary redundancy – it was a no-brainer
- Villa losing in the Carling Cup final to a lucky Man Utd.
- Not making more progress with the book
- Missing out on an audition for Pointless thanks to the weather.
- The cancellation of Ronnie Spector’s Edinburgh gig because of the weather
READING (just don’t get as much time as I want to read)
FILMS ENJOYED (Not necessarily out this year because I don’t see many new films. In fact my daughter has probably seen more new films this year and she’s 6!)
MUSIC ENJOYED – COMPILATIONS/BOX SETS
- Where The Action Is: Los Angeles Nuggets 1965-1968 (Rhino)
- Love Is The Song We Sing: San Francisco Nuggets 1965-1970 (Rhino)
- Ember Sixties Pop 1-4 (Fantastic Voyage)
- Take a Trip: The Psych Pop Sounds of Capitol Records (Now Sounds)
- Instroville: Hits and Rarities from the Golden Age of Pop Instrumentals (Fantastic Voyage)
- The Rubble Collection Volumes 1-10 (Fallout)
- The Rubble Collection Volumes 11-20 (Fallout)
- Girls Gone Rockin’: 75 Fabulous Femme Rockers (Fantastic Voyage)
- Hey, Beach Girls: Female Surf ‘n’ Drag 1961-1966 (Ace)
- You Baby: Words and Music by P F Sloan and Steve Barri (Ace)
- C’est Chic! French Girl Singers of the 60s (Ace)
MUSIC ENJOYED – SINGLES
- Peter Parker – Pretty Living
- Maple Leaves – Golden Ether EP
- Allo Darlin’ – Polaroid Song
- The Orchids – She’s My Girl
- Teenage Fanclub – When I Still Have Thee
- Teenage Fanclub – Baby Lee
- Tommy Reilly – Take Me Away For The Night
- Jonny – Free Download EP
- French Wives – Me vs Me
MUSIC ENJOYED – ALBUMS
- Teenage Fanclub – Shadows
- Jackie DeShannon – Liberty Singles Volume 1 (Ace)
- Jackie Leven – Gothic Road
- Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
- Edwyn Collins – Losing Sleep
- The Orchids – The Lost Star
- Orange Juice – Coals to Newcastle (thanks Simon!)
- Timi Yuro – The Amazing Timi Yuro: The Mercury Years
- Ritchie Blackmore – Getaway: Groups and Sessions
- Chris Farlowe – Out of Time: The Immediate Anthology
- Jackie Leven (Abbot House, Dunfermline)
- Teenage Fanclub (HMV Picturehouse, Edinburgh)
- Sergeant/The Ray Summers/Saint Kilda/The Rioteers (Rothes Hall, Glenrothes)
- The Orchids/Maple Leaves/Peter Parker/Just Joans + more (Glasgow Popfest, Stereo, Glasgow)
- Andrew Collins – Secret Dancing (Edinburgh Fringe)
- HBA Awards/Conference (Erskine)
- “Beautiful Burnout” play (Rothes Hall, Glenrothes)
- Hosting quiz night for Special Constables and staff at Scottish Police College
- Hosting quiz night for Turcan Connell (my 9th/10th time (?) and always a pleasure)
- The bloody snow!
BEST MUSIC RADIO SHOW
- Nurse Jackie
- This is England 86
- Mad Men
- Modern Families
- Big Bang Theory
- Sport (The Tour de France/Mosconi Cup/The Ashes)
- The Trip
- Getting On
- Only Connect
- University Challenge
- Shaun the Sheep
- Phineas and Ferb
Jim Bob (Carter USM)
Susan Boyle (okay I didn’t see her as such but she was in our hotel and the girls saw her)
HEROES OF THE YEAR
Amazon (for resolving a problem, on a Sunday, caused by a courier. That’s customer service, HDL. Take note)
The guy from Dalgety Bay who took my large parcel home for me from the City Link depot in Glenrothes when I couldn’t fit it in my car.
VILLAINS OF THE YEAR
I had a whole list of people and organisations but scrapped it on account of it being rather negative.
A Question of Genius – BBC2
Fred Macaulay’s Radio Show (5 times) – BBC Radio Scotland
Request on Sound of the Sixties (last Saturday!)
COMPETITIONS WON (added this category as an afterthought)
Saint Etienne “Sound of Water” CD (via Twitter)
£5 x 3 (Sure for Men World Cup sweepstake)
£2500 worth vouchers (“Spring Home Makeover”) from Trafford Centre, Manchester
£50 voucher for Baxters shop (yes, the soup people)
£20 Amazon voucher (Prepress Perth Twitter comp)
“Kick-Ass” on Blu-Ray (Hey U Guys website)
Lauren Pritchard CD (Original 106 radio station)
4 x Trashcan Sinatras CDs (3 signed) (trashcansinatras.com website/YouTube competition)
WHAT DOES 2011 HOLD?
Finish my book?
A job in radio/broadcasting?
Maybe do an HNC or HND in Radio?
A show on Leith FM?
Weight loss (another half a stone will do nicely)?
Seeing The Orchids live again?